In this article
The upload feature is a central administrative function that allows Administrators, Managers, Moderators and Contributors to upload digital media in your Portal's library. Depending on your product package, you can upload videos, images, audio, documents, and Shareable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) content in your Portal's library.
Once uploaded, the video is transcoded into multiple formats and renditions. This ensures that the content is accessible and plays across a wide range of devices under any bandwidth condition. To learn more about how to change Upload settings in a portal, see: How to Change Upload Settings using Application Configuration Keys.
You can also upload multiple video files simultaneously. To learn more about multiple uploads, click on How To Upload Multiple Files.
Note: This article shows video upload as an example. However, all other media types (audio, images) follow the same steps.
Before you start
- Contributor+ roles have the permission to upload media.
1. Click on the red Add New Media (+) icon towards the bottom right-hand corner.
2. You will be redirected to a new page, where you can Click on Upload Media to upload your files.
Note: The text for the Upload Media button can be different due to VIDIZMO allowing high branding functionality, allowing Manager+ roles to customize such aspects of the portal you are trying to upload media to. Click Understanding Branding Settings to learn more.
3. After clicking on the Upload Media button you will be redirected to a new screen, where you can drag and drop videos in the highlighted box or click on the link "Click here to Upload"
4. Select your media that you want to upload and click on the Open button.
5. During a file upload, there may be instances when the browser fails to respond and has to be refreshed, or the internet connection is terribly slow and drops and reconnects frequently. In such a scenario, the system will resume upload from the point where the upload was disrupted rather than starting all over again.
6. After you have selected your file to upload, you will be redirected to a new page where you can setup your video for publishing.
Before continuing to setup your video for publishing, click on the Advanced Settings tab located to the far right, which depending on the encoding provider chosen for the portal during setup, will have new options for transcoding, transcribing and generating preview thumbnails.
i. Select the Transcode checkbox to allow the creation of multiple renditions for the selected video that is to be uploaded. This checkbox is enabled all the time and can not be normally changed on will.
ii. Select the Generate Preview Thumbnails checkbox to allow viewers of the video to see small images relating to the part of the video they are seeking, when they are moving the progress bar head in the video.
Note: The Advanced Settings tab is only accessible while a video is being uploaded and is inaccessible afterward.
7. After configuring the Advanced Settings tab click on the Basic Settings tab:
i. Select Save as Draft checkbox in case you do not want to make the video instantly available to users, and save it for publishing later on.
ii. Select Enable 360 View checkbox to allow users to view your video in 360. This checkbox should only be enabled if the video was recorded in 360.
iii. Add a title for your uploaded video.
iv. Select a category from the dropdown menu. This will help you in classifying your content on the basis of shared characteristics.
v. Add tags to increase your video's search visibility.
vi. Add a description for your uploaded video. Your description is generally a detailed account of the certain or salient aspects, characteristics, or features of a subject matter or uploaded media.
vii. Add the author's name who has ownership rights to the video.
The publish settings can be saved at any time during the upload process, by either clicking the Save button allowing you to save and continue setting up your video or clicking the Save and Close button to save and close the current video settings to come back and edit the publishing options later on, and the Close button will simply close the Media Settings window without saving any changes.
Note: You can monitor the uploading progress from the progress bar under the video thumbnail on the left-hand side. Moreover, you can also capture thumbnail for your video. To learn more, click on How To Capture And Upload Media Thumbnail.
8. Next click on the Publish tab:
i. Set the Completion Criteria. You can adjust the completion criteria by moving the slider control, defining the percentage of a media that needs to be viewed to have it considered as watched completely.
ii. Allow Social Sharing checkbox allows the video to be shared through social media.
iii. Allow Embedding checkbox lets the video be accessible on other website by generating an embed code.
iv. Allow Downloading checkbox allows the video to be downloaded through the web browser.
v. Allow Comments checkbox lets viewers of the video to comment about the video on the portal
vi. Allow Comment Moderation checkbox makes the comments being written by viewers about the video be sent for moderation.
vii. Display Time checkbox allows the video duration time be seen by viewers.
9. Next, click on the Access tab:
i. Specify the accessibility of your uploaded video. You can set the accessibility by selecting either of the options stated:
- All Account and Portal Viewers
- All Portal Viewers
- Anonymous Viewers
- Specify Viewers/Groups
ii. You can also set how viewers will able to access the video. Select From Portal Library checkbox to make the video available in the Portal Library and select Featured Medias checkbox, to feature the video on Portal Homepage.
iii. Next, select the availability of your media.
Note: External viewers are only able to view the video if the Anonymous Viewers from the Access tab is selected.
i. Click on the Share button to bring up Sharing Options
ii. Share with drop-down allows you to select from:
- Specific Viewers or Groups in your Portal
- Outside your Portal
- Anyone with a link to this video
iii. From and To defines both the date and time of how long would the video be available to viewers.
11. Next is the Custom Attributes tab, This is where you set custom attributes to improve metadata and search visibility for your uploaded media within the application.
Note: The custom attributes shown in the image bellow can differ from the ones being seen by you when uploading media, this is because custom attributes are set by Manger+ roles and are custom to change. Both save buttons will be disabled until all required fields in the Custom Attributes tab are set.
i. In Time Data Type select Closed caption or Drone.
ii. In case of Closed Caption file select the language of the subtitle file, you will be uploading.
ii. Click the Choose File button to browse your machine for the file containing the subtitles/drone data for your video.
When you are done with the settings, click on the Save button and a notification "Your Media has been published successfully" will appear to confirm the save process.
13. Click on the search icon without entering any search term to bring up the Portal's Homepage. Your media file should now be available at the top of the listing as the most recent Media, which is the default sort order.
14. Click on your uploaded video to open the Playback screen.
15. Your video will be available for playback and the playback screen will offer options like sharing, download, embed, related videos etc. that were set up during the video upload process. To learn more about Playback , read Understanding Playback Page.