TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Before you start
- View Case Chain of Custody
- Toggle Between Compact and Detailed View of Chain of Custody
- Read Next
In VIDIZMO Digital Evidence Management DEM system, a case is a collection of all types of digital evidence related to a crime which includes images, videos from surveillance cameras, crime scene documentation, voice call recordings, etc. A case can create a holistic incident view, allowing for all relevant digital evidence tied to a single entity to be easily found, processed and packaged for judicial partners – saving valuable time and resources. One of the greatest concerns associated with Case management is its Chain of Custody, the absence of which can create complexities a few of them can be;
- Who deleted evidence from the case?
- From which IP Address digital forensic was last modified within that case?
- What was the case creation date?
- Which updates have been incorporated in the case along with timestamp?
- Who assigned a case from one officer to another?
All of the above and many other crucial questions can be answered by the Case Audit trail that VIDIZMO offers in its DEM system. To learn more about it, see: Understanding Audit Trail.
Before you start
- Make sure to log in as a Moderator+ user role in order to view Audit Trail of a case.
View Case Chain of Custody
1. From your DEM Portal's Homepage.
i. Change the portal Homepage view from Evidence to Cases.
2. In the Case View screen
ii. Click on the overflow menu of the Case of which you want to view the Audit Trail.
iii. Select Audit Trail. It will take you to the detailed audit trail view of that Case.
2. In the Chain of Custody screen
i. You will be able to view all actions performed on that Case with User, IP Address, Date and Time, Event and Changes information.
User: This field displays the name of the user who has committed the changes in the case (e.g. creating, updating, deleting case).
IP Address: This field shows the IP address of the system from where the changes have been committed in the case.
Date and Time: This column shows the timestamp at which the changes/updates have been done in the case.
Event: This field shows the type of change/update that has been committed against the case.
Changes: This field briefly defines the changes that have been committed by a user at the specific timestamp in the selected case.
3. The Case Audit Trail can be sorted by Date & Time by clicking on the small arrow icon.
Downloading Case Chain of Custody
1. The Case Audit Trail can also be downloaded in PDF/CSV format.
i. Click on the Download button, available on the top-right corner of The Chain of Custody Screen, to download the complete audit trail of the selected Evidence. Here you can toggle between PDF/CSV format to be downloaded.
Toggle Between Compact and Detailed View of Chain of Custody
By default, VIDIZMO DEM provides the Detailed View of Chain of Custody, as seen in the above pictures. This view segregates changes against each event. While the Compact View displays the bifurcation of each change against an event as shown in the picture below. You can toggle between different views by clicking on the Compact View button available at the left-hand side of the Download Button.