VIDIZMO provides its users the ability to define a list of parameters for every media file uploaded. These parameters determine the file's metadata, its availability and accessibility etc. This feature also allows the uploader to add any additional files such as closed captions or thumbnails for a video file. These settings can be defined while the file is being uploaded or can also be updated later on after the file has been uploaded.
Please note that not all tabs mentioned below are applicable on every type of media. For instance, media such as a Case (DEMS) may have only a subset of settings applicable from the ones explained below.
Options offered in VIDIZMO's Media Settings
VIDIZMO provides an extensive list of settings for different media types and they may vary for each.
These media settings comprise of following tabs and options:
The Basic Settings tab in Media Settings enables the user to set the following:
- Title: The uploader can define the media name which helps in creating a distinct identity of the media.
- Category: The media content can be classified by assigning a category to it. These categories are predefined at portal-level and can be utilized and assigned to different files while uploading. Read more about it at How to Add a Category and Sub-Category in Portal.
- Tags: The uploader can attach tags to a media file which enhances the content's description and improves accessibility in terms of search.
- Description: The description for the media file can also be added which assists viewers in understanding the purpose of content.
- Author Name: The author name helps viewers to identify the uploader while searching content.
- Capture Thumbnail: While uploading, VIDIZMO selects and sets a random thumbnail for the file. However, the uploader can navigate through the preview player at the right-hand corner and select a custom thumbnail within the video. Moreover, VIDIZMO also provides the uploader the ability to upload a custom thumbnail.
The Publish tab allows the uploader to set the completion as well as sharing and downloading criteria for the content. Through this tab, users can perform the following functions:
- Completion Criteria: Users can set the completion criteria for the uploading file, which is a way of assessing the point at which the video is marked and tracked as completely viewed by the viewer.
- Sharing & Download:This tab also allows you to set sharing and download settings as follows:
Allow Social Sharing: Enabling social sharing allows the viewer to share the video from the playback page to social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or Mail.
Allow Embedding: Embedding allows the viewer to copy the iframe element from playback page and embed it on any other domain, given that embedding has not been restricted for that domain at portal-level.
Allow Downloading: Enabling download option will allow user to download the media in chosen format and rendition from the playback page.
Allow Comments: Enabling comments allows viewers to leave comments under that media.
Allow Comment Moderation: Enabling comment moderation ensures that no spam or unwanted comments are published under that media. Every comment is sent to Moderator+ roles for moderation. The comment only shows up on that particular media’s playback page if any of Moderator+ role has approved it.
Display Time: Enabling display time allows the viewer to see a timed box at the right-hand corner of the media's playback page. This allows the user to edit transcriptions added with the video file. This is applicable for audios and videos only.
The Access tab in the Media Settings manages the availability and accessibility of the media such as who can access the media, from where and the time during which it will be available and then expire.
Who can access it?
- All account and portal viewers: Enabling this allows all registered users of portal and the parent-portal (Account) to view and access this media.
- All portal viewers: Enabling this allows all registered users of the portal only to access the media.
- Anonymous viewers: Enabling this allows all viewers (whether registered or anonymous) to access the media.
- Specific viewers and groups: This option allows the uploader to select specific viewers and groups only for whom the media will be accessible.
- Password: The uploader can also define a password for playing back the media. This requires the viewer to know the password and the media will only play once the viewer has entered the valid password.
How to access it?
- From Portal Library: Every portal has a media library where users can search for every published media file. Enabling this options allows the users to access the media from this library.
- Featured Media: On portal’s homepage, there is a list of featured media files. Enabling this option allows the users to access the mashup from the homepage’s featured presentation list.
When will it be available?
- Available from: By setting this option, the uploader can pre-define the actual date and time from which the media file will be accessible to its viewers.
- Expires after: A media file can be expired at a specific time from which it will no longer be accessible to its viewers unless it is re-published from the ‘Expired’ tab in Media Manager.
The uploader can also set custom attributes for the uploading media file. These attributes are defined at portal-level. Read more about it here: Portal Settings - Library. These custom attributes may vary according to what has been defined in your portal. Nonetheless, they can be defined for this media and utilized in search results to enhance search experience and metadata information for end-users.
Closed captions are transcriptions of the words spoken in a video/audio. Closed captions can be used to add clarity to video and audio files. Moreover, it increases the search-ability and also assists those with hearing disabilities, an accessibility requirement for 508 Compliance. VIDIZMO supports Closed Captions (CC) for audio and video files. These can be added while uploading media. The culture language for the uploaded captions can also be defined.
This tab allows the uploader to set limited sharing for the media. This tab appears when the media file has been successfully uploaded.
This tab gives the uploader three options:
- The uploader can share the media with specific users and groups for a defined time period.
- The uploader can share the media with someone via email, and the media will expire for them after a defined time period.
- Anyone with the link for media can access but for the defined time period only.
VIDIZMO also allows the uploader to enable 360° video for the media file being uploaded.
Note: There is an Advanced Settings tab that is only displayed while uploading media and not when it has been uploaded, as it configures whether preview thumbnails are generated for that particular media while encoding.
Roles & Permissions
- Administrators, Managers and Moderators can access and set all of the above tabs. Contributors can only access and set three of the above tabs: Basic Settings, Closed Captions and Advanced Settings, while the other tabs are inherently what has been defined by Manager+ roles at portal-level in Portal Settings.
- Manager+ roles can also predefine few of these parameters under Default Publish Settings in Portal Settings so that every media uploaded has these settings by default.
- The accessibility of content can be predefined by Manager+ roles while defining the portal's security policy. Read more about it here: Understanding Portal's Security Policy. By selecting Decide When Publishing, the uploader configures the accessibility settings of the content while publishing.
Note: Even though Manager+ roles can predefine the default media settings, these can be overridden by the uploader while uploading content.
Read about How to Upload Media